The Regulations, Codes and Standards working group is working with NPL, standards bodies, Composites UK and UK Government to facilitate entrance of new composite product to market.
One of the major inhibitors to the uptake of composites in new sectors is that regulations, codes and standards are often inappropriate for composites. This is because they are based on named materials such as steel or concrete and do not permit consideration of alternative materials.
Key priorities include:
- Work with regulators and standards bodies to adapt regulations to enable use of composites
- Establish composite materials test and database capability
- Develop standards for key topics such as process related measurements, fire, smoke and toxicity
- Develop non-destructive methods for thick sections and large scale manufacture
- Implement design codes for structural applications
Graham Sims, NPL Ltd